Tortilla espanola or Spanish omelette
75ml extra virgin olive oil
1kg (about 6 medium) floury potatoes, peeled quartered and thinly sliced
1 medium onion
6 large eggs
1. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Saute the potatoes and onion, lifting and turning them until cooked but not brown – this will take 15-20 mins.
2. Beat the eggs together in a large mixing bowl and season well with salt. When the potatoes are cooked, using a slotted spoon, transfer them into the egg mixture, leaving as much oil behind as possible. Strain the oil from the pan and reserve.
3. Heat 1 tbsp. of the reserved oil in the same pan over a medium heat. Add the egg and potato mixture, speading the potatoes evenly in the pan. Cook the tortilla, covered for 5-6 mins., gently shaking the pan so that it doesn’t stick.
4. Slide a long spatula underneath the tortilla and quickly turn it over on the plate. Add another tbsp. of oil to the pan and quickly slide the tortilla back in. Tuck the sides in with a fork and cook for a further 3-4 mins. or until it is firm and set.
5. Remove the tortilla from the pan and leave to cool to room temperature. Before serving, cut into wedges.
This recipe is from a book called 100 Great Tapas by Pippa Cuthbert, published by Cassell ISBN-10: 1 84403 533 6.